The Building, Parish, and Ministers
The church was dedicated on 17th February 1889. It was modelled on the church which had just been built at Corrie. (Architect, P McGregor Chalmers.) The west aisle was added in 1899, the east aisle was added and the chancel extended in 1925; halls were built in 1940 and an additional suite of rooms linking church and halls and completing the present complex was added in 1960. Transferred from the Presbytery of Paisley 1929.
During 2014 and 2015, Cardonald Parish Church celebrated 125 years of witness to the Gospel. The Church was dedicated on 17 February 1889.
Originally built to serve the rural community of Cardonald, the Church is now at the centre of a parish of several thousand residents, and countless numbers who come into the parish or pass through it daily.
Although the triple-gabled building is a familiar landmark on the busy Paisley Road West, in 1889 there was only one gable as the other wings were added in the earlier part of the 20th Century. The West Wing was added in 1899 and the East Wing in 1925. Cardonald Parish Church went from being a small church, meeting the spiritual needs of the farming community, to the magnificent pillared red sandstone building that you see today, but it retains the warm, intimate feel of a country church. During the first year of the Second World War, the Church Halls were erected. In 1960, these were connected to the Church by a suite of rooms and a corridor.
The premises and the grounds continue to be looked after with great care. Regardless of the changes that six score years have brought to Cardonald Parish Church, it remains true to its purpose of bringing the Gospel into the life of the community.
Began with a meeting held in the School Room at Cardonald on 26th January 1887 when it was resolved to approach neighbouring kirk sessions about the creation of a new parish in this developing area. This led in 1889 to the appointment of a minister and the granting of a constitution as a Chapel of Ease. The parish was disjoined from Paisley and Govan on 14th July 1890 and so the charge became Cardonald Parish Church, quoad sacra, within the Presbytery of Paisley.
- William Alexander Liston: 1889-1915,
- Duncan Findlay McLean: 1915-1935,
- John Shedden: 1935-1947,
- Francis William Rae: 1948-1970,
- John Stevenson: 1971-1983,
- Eric McLachlan: 1983-2005,
- Calum MacLeod: 2007-2017.